Monday, April 1, 2019

A City of Joy #A2ZChallenge





I've spent most of my life in Calcutta, a bustling old city in the Eastern part of India. They have renamed it to Kolkata but to me it remains Calcutta, a city after my heart. Yes, even with its warts and humidity and countless other flaws.
Remember that book by Dominique Lapierre, called City of Joy? That was a book about my city. The film, starring Patrick Swayze was shot here and a lot of people were very excited. I never watched the movie. You see, I didn't even like the book.
Because the story of "city of joy" showcases only one aspect of my beautiful city. It showed only the underbelly, the poverty and the plight of rickshaw-pullers. That too is Calcutta but that is not all Calcutta is!
So come with me and over this month I will weave some tales, sprinkle some history, draw from my own experiences and try to show you why Calcutta or Kolkata (if you will) truly is a city of joy!

P.S. the picture is of a very old map of Calcutta and Howrah that was owned by my father. I surmise it must be at least fifty years old, see the price!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment