Xacuti is a Goan curry. You can make it with fish or mutton or chicken but the recipe I want to share today is with prawn. If you like Indian curries, this will certainly be a favourite. Just adjust the cooking time if you are using chicken or meat.
- Prawns (medium size) 1 cup tossed gently with a little salt and pepper.
- Onions (large) 1 chopped finely.
- Coconut grated 3/4 cup
- Nutmeg powder 1/2 tsp
- Coriander seeds 3/4/tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind paste 1/2 tsp
- Poppy seeds 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
- Dried red chillies : 3/4
- Star Anise 2/3 (optional)
- Cinnamon 1 (1 inch) piece
- Cloves 2/3
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Dry roast the coconut till it turns lightly brown. Keep aside.
- Dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, poppy seeds, fennel, cloves, cinnamon, dried chillies and star anise, if using till a nice aroma comes out. Do not burn. I usually do this in a tawa over a low flame once the tawa is hot,
- Gring the dry roasted seeds with the coconut into a smooth paste. Add as little water as possible.
- Heat oil and fry the chopped onion. When it starts to brown, add the masala and fry till the oil separates.
- Add the prawn and fry for about 3/4 minutes mixing the prawns in the masala nicely. Add some water and cook till prawns are done. Do not over cook as the prawns will turn rubbery and hard.
- Add nutmeg powder, tamarind and cook for 2 minutes till blended.
This is lovely with rice or roti but it's really special with local paos (buns)!