Saturday, April 23, 2016

T: TESS of the D'urbervilles

Despite being an avid reader, I never encountered Thomas Hardy until I was in law college. There was this tiny book shop that sold second hand books and even let you borrow them on occasion and it was one of my favourite joints. It was here that I discovered Tess. and she broke my heart again and again. I loved it.

 “Did you say the stars were worlds, Tess?"
"Yes."
"All like ours?"
"I don't know, but I think so. They sometimes seem to be like the apples on our stubbard-tree. Most of them splendid and sound - a few blighted."
"Which do we live on - a splendid one or a blighted one?"
"A blighted one.” 
― Thomas HardyTess of the D'Urbervilles

2 comments:

  1. Haven't read these, but your excerpts are interesting enough to hook me! Marking it to my To Read section on GoodReads!

    Cheers,
    Deepa
    Deepa’s Kaleidoscope

    ReplyDelete