Tuesday, April 21, 2015

'R' for Rice. A to Z Challenge Day 18

I'll be honest with you. I had to take a pick between Rice and Roast and it was a tough call. You see, both, to me, are comfort food. More about the roast another day, let's try the rice for now.
As an Indian, I have grown up eating rice all my life.
Add to that the fact that I am Bengali.
Bengalis in particular are predominantly rice eaters, rarely does any meal NOT have rice.

So it's no wonder I love my rice. Oh I can go without it for some time. But then after about a week of ricelessness, I get restless. Like when we are on vacation, invariably after about a week or so of sandwiches and hot dogs and stuff, the spouse and I find ourselves on the look out for Indian or or Chinese or even Thai joints.. You see, we are certain we will find rice there! Be it biriyani, or pulao or fried rice or khichdi  or even plain steamed rice..... rice is comfort food.

And the most comforting comfort food is Pish-pash, a rice and chicken meal that my grand mother used to make when we were not feeling well or had fever and it still tops my list of 'good food'.

Here's how you do it:

Ingredients:

  1. Rice : 1 and 1/2 cup
  2. Chicken with bones: one small, cut into biggish pieces. about 2 pounds. 
  3. Onion, 1 large chopped fine.
  4. Garlic: 4 pods chopped.
  5. Butter
  6. Potatoes: 3 medium sized, peeled and halved. 
  7. Cauliflower/ peas/ carrots/golden corn (optional) : chopped biggish, about 1/2 cup
  8. Salt and pepper to taste. 
  9. Oil: (Canola/sunflower/any white oil)
  10. Bay leaf: 1
  11. Whole pepper corns: 5/7. (optional)
Method: 
  1. Clean and wash the rice. 
  2. In a pan heat I tbsp oil and add the Bay leaf. Add garlic and lightly fry. Add onions and fry for about 3 minutes. Do not allow the onion to turn brown. Add pepper corns if you like. 
  3. Add the chicken pieces and mix in the onions etc. 
  4. When it has browned, add the potato pieces and saute some more. 
  5. Add the washed rice, move it around the pan, taking care not to let it stick. 
  6. Add water, 3 to 4 cups. Salt to taste.  1 cup of chicken stock and 2 to 3 cups of water will also do nicely.
  7. Let it boil and cook stirring occasionally until the rice is done. the chicken and potatoes too should be done. Check and see and add water and boil some more if required. If adding vegetables, add it when the rice is half cooked, else it becomes too mushy. 
  8. When the rice is cooked, the mixture should be soupy. Do not let the rice stick, keep adding water as requires. The dish is soupy, I repeat and not dry. The rice should be soft and the chicken very tender. Melt in your mouth consistency. 
  9. Serve hot with a big dollop of butter.
  10. Never fails with fussy eaters! 
I think I know what we are having for dinner tonight! 



2 comments:

  1. Nice! must try it some time. Ours is a Rice & Roti combo family so end up having to do both for lunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds lovely! It sounds quite similar to a risotto :)

    ReplyDelete