Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Evil witch, this one is trouble!!!

Evil witch, anyone? 

I called my sister-in-law an evil witch the other day. (Point to be noted: my sister-in-law is a mother to a 8 year old child. A boy who is naughty, funny and an absolute devil at times. Just like children that age are meant to be.)

Understandably, she was upset.

Tragically, I do not see why. 

You see, I have been that evil witch the last 18 years and I was only passing the mantle down. My older sister-in-law was the evil witch before me and she was good with that.

Like I say, motherhood is no popularity contest. If your kids think you're ace, you've certainly got something wrong. Someone wise once said that your children start out loving you. Then they judge you, sometimes, they forgive you. I have been pretty merciless with my girls, I'm hoping they will forgive me. And even if they don't, if they pass on what I have taught them, it will be enough. The younger one turned 18 yesterday...so I consider my job half done. I hope they will not be reading this but I am proud to say that they are pretty street smart and grounded. I have raised them to be able to stand up for themselves and be independent. One is now in college, battling out a hostel life and the other has gone to get a learners license ... I'm happy. But the road has not been easy. And, oh yes, I have been an evil witch for as long as I can remember. I was evil when I did not allow the nights out. I became positively mean when I refused to give money for that party in the pub that allows underage kids, I was surely evil when I said they have to fend for themselves whether on camp or in college and I grew horns when I told them they have to sink or swim. 

I wear my horns with pride.

Raising kids is not easy. I've said it a thousand times and I will say it a thousand times more ... there's so much you have to share: responsibility, love, kindness, independence, even a fierce sort of freedom ... and you have to be mean to get there. Mothers are not the most popular of people, why even try? 

I remember when my daughters came home and told me so and so's mother was so nice, she let her daughter stay up to watch TV. I told them to ask if she would adopt them. Another time it was the phone, someone else had a iPhone, while hers was only a MotoG. I asked her to get used to the idea that she was poor. Another child was allowed to use public transport at night, I insisted on dropping her home myself. My daughters thought I was outdated but I was only playing safe. We have had endless fights and arguments, even now we scrap about the bed not being made, the room being dirty, night outs and stuff. I insist on knowing who they are out with and where and tell them clearly when I do not like their friends, they have to deal with it.

It makes me a bully. It makes me evil. Some times, I'm a witch. 

I love it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment